A simple image can convey more than a block of text. People are “lazy,” they avoid reading lots of text on the web. Users prefer to scan the page and focus on images.
Why does it happen?
- Text needs more time and effort to be read.
- Images can capture feelings and convey emotions in an effective way.
- Images make a website more visually appealing.
You should take into account
- Image should convey the right message. Imagine how this could affect your company’s image if the user got the wrong impression.
- It can be a picture, screenshot or infographic (I love infographics) that enables you to communicate your message to the users and tell them your story in the perfect way.
An interesting infographic is used to help users to choose betweem Bonds, CDs and Saving Accounts.
More infographic examples can be found here
- People tend to focus on people’s faces and mainly on people’s eyes. If you use pictures of faces on your website, make sure that the face is looking where you want the user to look at as well. An eye-tracking survey reveals that “people faces can be used to guide people around the website”.
User experience experts along with designers are able to use images to convey messages and allow ease navigation to your website.